Monday, April 7, 2014

8 Roger Staubach (Dallas Cowboys 1969-1979)

Growing Up Cowboy, And The Sticky Business Of Rooting For The “Wrong” Player



     This one requires some backstory.
     Thanksgiving Day, 1974. We had just gotten home from dinner at my grandmother’s house when Jimmy cut a direct path to the living room, switched on the TV, and began watching a football game with great interest. But why? The Patriots weren’t involved. This was a match up between the Washington Redskins and Dallas Cowboys. I sat down and joined him, mainly because I was always curious about things my older brother was interested in, especially when it came to sports, but there was a buzz of excitement coming from the TV that drew me in as well. The crowd was loud and fully engaged. The stadium was vast and modern with a big star in the middle and you could tell the building was serving its one and only purpose: to host big-time football games. Jimmy told me the Cowboys and Redskins hated each other. I settled in to watch.
     The first thing I remember happening was the Cowboys starting quarterback getting hurt with about 10 minutes left in the third quarter and the Redskins leading 16-3. I knew who Roger Staubach was from—you guessed it—trading cards and magazines, knew he attended one of the military academies and won the Heisman Trophy, and that he led the Cowboys to their only Super Bowl victory. I also knew by the concern on Jimmy’s face that he was rooting for the Cowboys, and that number 12 leaving the game was a big deal.
     The backup quarterback’s name was Clint Longley and he led Dallas on consecutive scoring drives to bring the Cowboys to within six, at 23-17. Then, with 28 seconds remaining and no timeouts, Dallas had the ball at midfield.
     When you’re nine years old, 28 seconds doesn’t seem like enough time to do anything. It usually took longer for me to tie my shoes. To me, the situation seemed hopeless. How could the Cowboys go 50 yards in less than half a minute? But the announcer’s voices kept rising as the cameras flashed quickly between coaches George Allen and Tom Landry on the sidelines, then between a cheerleader with her fingers crossed and a fan with his hands folded in prayer.
     I wasn’t aware of it at the time, but this is what people mean when they say that NFL football is a made-for-TV sport. With just a few dramatic images and a word or two from an excited play-by-play guy, I was swept up in the possibility that the Cowboys could actually win the game.
     It happened in an instant. Longley dropped back to pass and hit Drew Pearson streaking down the near side of the field for a 50-yard touchdown and a 24-23 Cowboys win. The stadium erupted. Again, the cameras captured every reaction: the celebrating Cowboys, the dejected Redskins, the delirious fans, and several replays of the winning play. Jimmy looked pleased with the victory. I wonder, too, if he was also pleased with, or even aware of, how drastically my NFL fandom had just been altered. That play—they called it a long bomb—and the ensuing celebration was the football equivalent of a Bobby Orr end-to-end, goal-scoring rush at the Boston Garden.

Clint Longley and Rayfield Wright, Thanksgiving Day, 1974

     I have friends who root for the Notre Dame and New York Giants football teams. Most of them also root for the Patriots. They explain that the Patriots weren’t founded until 1960, and that for years the Giants were the closest professional franchise, while Notre Dame games were regularly televised nationally. Some followed in their father’s and grandfather’s footsteps, going with what was familiar. I became a Dallas Cowboys fan because of my brother—my dad would have nothing to do with an NFC team—and because the Patriots played in a toilet of a stadium, which rarely sold out, leaving fans victims of the NFL’s blackout policy. The Cowboys seemed to be on TV every week. I followed in my brother’s footsteps and went with what was familiar.
     Similar to baseball, where I would eventually spend about a decade and a half rooting for the Red Sox and Royals, I would have two favorite football teams, one in the AFC, and one in the NFC. And just as I would hope the Sox and Royals would never meet in an ALCS, I dreaded the thought of a Pats-Cowboys Super Bowl (thankfully, neither happened, but for the record, I always would’ve rooted for the home team).
     The 1974 Cowboys finished 8-6, missing the playoffs by two games. The Patriots started 5-0, but after going 2-7 down the stretch, finished the season at .500. There would be no Super Bowl concerns during my first full season as a football fan. The only question heading into the 1975 season was, Who would be my favorite player?
     A couple of Patriots stood out: “Mini” Mack Herron was an exciting running back and kick returner, who set the single-season record with 2,444 all-purpose yards in 1974 (the all-time record for a 14-game season), and DE Julius Adams was a good pass rusher with a cool sounding name. But I knew my favorite player would come from the Cowboys. They were the more glamorous team.
     It didn’t happen right away. Unlike with the Royals, where I followed a player-first, team-second progression, I embraced the Cowboys as a team before auditing their lineup for a favorite player.
     As it turned out, the two obvious choices had already been taken. Drew Pearson, who finished the 1974 season with 1,087 receiving yards, was Jimmy’s favorite player, and Roger Staubach, who had returned to his starting role the week after Thanksgiving, and was the team’s unquestioned leader, had been chosen by my friend, Bobby (not his real name). As stated earlier, choosing the same out-of-town favorite player as your friend or relative was a direct violation of the unwritten rules of player favoritism. It was understood that if you ventured outside local boundaries to find a player, you were granted exclusive rights. So, I settled for number 43, Cliff Harris.

Cliff Harris
     Harris was a 6’ 0”, 185 lb free-safety, who hit like a 250 lb linebacker. A four-time first-team All Pro, he is one of only13 players in NFL history to play in five Super Bowls. In choosing a favorite player, you could do a lot worse than Cliff Harris. But he wasn’t really my favorite. Seriously, how many kids at that age would be watching the free safety? You watched the guy with the ball. For me, Harris was more like the girl you date in school just so you can be near her friend, who is seeing someone else, and that someone else happens to be your friend.
     Roger Staubach was really my favorite player. Obviously, this created a bit of a problem for me, but being a Cowboys fan provided a loophole that would allow me to root for Staubach without upsetting Bobby, who was rather possessive when it came to his favorites, and rather paranoid and easily upset when it came to everything else. So, if asked, I’d tell everyone that Cliff Harris was my favorite player, but that I was also a big Roger Staubach fan. Thus, keeping the peace beneath the safety of the Cowboy Fan Umbrella. Simple, isn’t it? I know this all sounds pretty insane, but we were sports-obsessed kids, and took it quite seriously.


     1975 would be a great year for the Cowboys. After a 10-4 regular season, they became the first Wild Card team to make it to the Super Bowl, where they would lose 21-17 to the Pittsburgh Steelers. But the enduring highlight of that season—and the moment that solidified my fandom of Roger Staubach—took place during the divisional round of the playoffs.
     December 28, 1975. The Sunday after Christmas. School vacation was just getting underway. I always loved that first weekend of the NFL playoffs with doubleheader games on Saturday and Sunday. Living in the cold Northeast, those extra games on TV were both a comfort and a bonus, like a bowl of hot soup and an extra blanket. The Cowboys were playing the Vikings in Bloomington, Minnesota. This was before the Metrodome was built. The game was played outdoors at old Metropolitan Stadium. Snow was plied high along the sidelines, mud caked the field from years of overuse (the Met was also home to the Twins) and cold breath filtered through every facemask. With the Vikings ahead 14-10 in the waning moments, the scene was set for a legendary finish.
     Once again, the Cowboys found themselves facing defeat with the ball at midfield. This time with 32 seconds left. This time with Roger Staubach at quarterback. I knew from the previous Thanksgiving that this was not an impossible situation, but things looked bleak just the same. The Vikings were the defending NFC champs with future Hall of Famers Alan Page, Carl Eller and Paul Krause on defense. This possession would either extend, or end, the Cowboys’ season.
     Lined up in their shotgun formation, Staubach took the snap, rolled right, pump faked left, then let fly with a desperation pass to Drew Pearson, who caught the ball against his hip before stepping into the endzone. When asked about the play after the game, Staubach told reporters, “I just closed my eyes and said a Hail Mary.” It’s one of the most famous plays in NFL history, known simply as, The Hail Mary. From that moment on, I always felt the Cowboys had a chance with Roger Staubach at quarterback.


     They called him Captain Comeback, and Roger The Dodger. I liked that first nickname, which alluded to Staubach’s being the catalyst behind so many come-from-behind Cowboy victories. But Roger The Dodger? Never liked it. I knew it was a tribute to his scrambling abilities and his propensity to dodge tacklers as he ran around searching for an open receiver or a first down marker. But to me, calling a military veteran, someone who served a tour of duty in Vietnam with the US Navy, a Dodger, for any reason, seemed a bit off. I felt this way even as a boy. Besides, I always viewed Roger Staubach as someone who never shied away from contact. He absorbed so many thunderous hits in his career. He was much more of a Captain than a Dodger.
     In 1977, the Cowboys went 12-2 in the NFL’s final 14-game season. Roger Staubach led the NFC in passing and the Cowboys crushed the Orange Crush Denver Broncos 27-10 at the Louisiana Super Dome in Super Bowl XII. I remember how confident Staubach looked under the bright lights, and how proud I felt to be a fan of the best team in the NFL. But things were about to get crowded on the Cowboys bandwagon.


     1977 would also be the last season that the Dallas Cowboys would be known, simply, as the Dallas Cowboys. In 1978, NFL Films released the Cowboys season highlight film under the title, “America’s Team”, and the name stuck. I’m happy to say that, thanks to my big brother, I was a legitimate fan of the team before all the foolishness started and the frontrunners showed up.
     Staubach led the NFL in passing in 1978 and the Cowboys once again made it to the Super Bowl, where they once again lost by 4 points to the Pittsburgh Steelers. In 1979, Staubach repeated as NFL passing leader with career highs in completions (267) yards (3,506) and touchdowns (27). Then, after a 21-19 loss to the Los Angeles Rams in the divisional round of the playoffs, and fearing the after-affects of recurring concussions, Roger Staubach retired from football.
     It’s ironic that my first memory as a Cowboys fan is of Staubach getting hurt in that Thanksgiving game back in ’74, and that his backup led the team to victory in a manner that Roger would become known for. But it’s fitting that he reclaimed his starting job the very next week, and that he would only miss two games for the rest of his glorious career.
     Just as Bill Russell’s commitment to defense will always personify the Celtics of the 1960s, and Bobby Orr’s overall brilliance will define those great Bruins teams of the early 70s, so, too, will Roger Staubach’s competitiveness and leadership represent the spirit of those 1970s Dallas Cowboys teams that I came to love. Captain Comeback. Roger Staubach. 


Afterward:

*I lost touch with my friend Bobby after high school, but someone told me that he had become a San Francisco 49ers fan shortly after The Catch, and that Joe Montana had become his favorite player. Huh? I must admit, I felt the pang of betrayal, as if he’d dumped the girl I’d secretly pined for just so he could chase the newly elected Prom Queen. And what kind of fan abandons the team he grew up with in favor of the team that broke their hearts?

*Cliff Harris was one of the best football players of the 1970s. You might say that he was the Cowboys’ defensive version of Staubach in that their careers practically mirrored one another’s (Staubach ’69-’79, Harris ’70-’79) and that both were named to the NFL’s 1970s All-Decade Team, and both were as tough as they come. Harris really should be in the Hall of Fame. He was great. But he wasn’t my favorite player.

*March 17, 2006 was my last day as a fan of the Dallas Cowboys. That’s because on March 18, they signed a guy who, besides being one of the most despicable self-promoters in sports history, once danced a touchdown dance on the midfield Star at Texas Stadium as a visiting player. I should know better than to get mad at something like that, but these are the things fans care about. I could not go on supporting a team that would forgive such disrespectful behavior from a guy who would be #1 on my list of least favorite players. Of course, I’m talking about Terrell Owens. I’ll admit I was also growing increasingly annoyed by the routine pomposity of owner Jerry Jones, so the fact that he signed Owens also helped to make my decision. I’ll also admit that, if the Cowboys hadn’t signed Owens, I probably would’ve given up on them sooner than later anyway. That’s because not long after Owens arrived, Tony Romo was named starting quarterback, and a soap opera of mediocrity ensued. People actually mention Romo favorably in conversations that include the names Troy Aikman and Roger Staubach.

Troy Aikman: 11-5 in playoffs, 3-0 in Super Bowls.
Roger Staubach: 12-6 in playoffs, 2-2 in Super Bowls.
Tony Romo: 1-3 in playoffs, no Super Bowls.

So that’s where I stepped off the America’s Team bandwagon

I had a good 32-year run as a fan of the Dallas Cowboys, through the lean years of the late-80s, and the glory years of the early-90s. But nothing compared to those teams of the 1970s. Before they became America’s Team, they were my team, and they were led by number 12, Roger Staubach.




No comments:

Post a Comment